Elevate your networking skills.
Below is a list of 10 questions to ask when you are networking to help you go beyond how nice it is outside and avoid talking about politics!
These questions are meant to be worked into conversations. Remember to listen as people answer and have an answer in case they reciprocate the question! As you are listening, be aware of ways you might be able to help the other person, even if it is in a way that isn’t at all related to what you do professionally.
10 questions to elevate your networking skills:
1. What is your favorite thing about working in _____ (their field)?
Follow Up: How did you get into _____ (their field)?
2. What is the most challenging thing about working in _____ (their field)?
3. What is the best thing that has happened in your work world so far this month?
4. What is your professional superpower?
(Might have to explain that you want to know what they feel they do REALLY WELL professionally)
5. What is your favorite business book and why?
6. What is one really unique thing about your company?
7. What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
8. Have you taken any training or attended any great workshops you would recommend?
9. Is there anyone here that you would like to meet who I may know and can introduce you to?
10. How can I know if someone I am talking to is a good referral for you?
(only ask once you have built rapport, must be genuine)
Now get out there and try some of these!